Friday, March 22, 2013

That Jeep Is Out To Get Me

The other day, I had a girls night out with my little sister Emily.  

You know when you have a hankering for a car.  And you just need to get it out of your system?  She decided that she had enough of the "mom" car and got herself a red jeep wrangler.  Now, don't let this picture fool you.  It has HUGE tires that makes it kind of hard for a rambunctious redblooded american woman with no problem getting in and out of cars gimp like me to get in and out of.  Lets just say, by the end of the night, which is 9 times later (yes, I said 9, stay with me here), I was praying to the step stool gods to miraculously have one right where I needed it.  But alas, no such luck.  

The first stop of our travels was at a little Korean restaurant in Provo, Utah.  It was called Spicy Corea.  I have never had Korean food before, so she ordered for us.  We got the bibimbap.  At first, when she said they put an over easy egg on the top, I was, no way.  But I put my big girl panties on, and decided to try it.  LOVED IT.  When it came out sizzling in the stone bowl, she told me to stir it all together so the rice wouldn't burn on the bottom and it cooked the egg.   Will definitely go back sometime.

After struggling to get back into the jeep from hell, we were off to the Provo City Library.   We arrive at the library, and take 3 (yes 3) different elevators trying to get to the 3rd floor.  Apparently, the elevator doesn't go to the third floor.  Errrr

Kathy Reichs and her son Brendon, were promoting their new book series.
We got seats on the second row.  (didn't help the quality of my pictures, but oh well).  I couldn't stop looking at her thinking, "I wish I had your money".   A tenured professor, a forensic anthropologist, called in to crime scenes (but only the ones that interest her now), author of the Tempe Brennen books, and co-producer and co-writer for the very popular TV series Bones.  Which has been picked up for their 9th season.  Yippy Ya-hooey.

This is her son.  He is a recovering attorney.  Very funny guy.

This was during the question and answer period.  See how she so nicely wanted to answer my question.  She was saying, "ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me".  hahahaha.  I kid.  

And no, I wasn't one of the lucky ones that had a sticker under my chair that would have gotten me a free book.  Dang.  Wasn't in the cards for that day.

We didn't stay for the book signing, because, well, I didn't want to buy a book, I like to do the ebooks anyway.  I tell Emily I really need ice cream.   What does this mean.  I HAVE TO CLIMB IN THE BLASTED JEEP AGAIN.  Help me.

Now, we could have gone to a really expensive ice cream place.  But no, I wanted a big twist cone.  We drove over to Macey's Grocery Store.  You can get 4 sizes of cones there.  Small .59 cents, medium .99 cents, large $1.59, and jumbo $1.99.   And boy did we beat the rush.  It was the happening place for ice cream that night.  (plus, Utah is the ice cream capital of the world, in case you hadn't heard)
We went with the medium.  Look at all that creamy goodness.  We also got us a cup of ice water, because, I don't know about you, I need water after ice cream.  We sat there and talked about stupid laws that the State Of Utah was trying to pass.  I won't go into it, but needless to say, we have some real yokels in the legislature.  Just sayin.

We finish the ice cream.  I am dreading the walk to the jeep.  I couldn't do it.  I promise. I tried for about 4 minutes to grab the freaking roll bar and pull myself up.  We were laughing hysterically.  Not to mention, the car parked in front of us was pulling out so they got to witness it, and then when another car pulled in they sat there awhile to watch.  So.....embarrassed.

When we finally arrive back to her house, and I roll out of the jeep, she goes for the big hug, thanks for going with me.  What does she do?  Pours her ice water all over me.  

Oh Good Times.

7 comments:

  1. Hey my post is all about my red jeep! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you,4'1"? The Wrangler is easy to get in. Well I do have a bar to step up in but...and Mrs. Cranky hates it, but I love my Wrangler!!

    Your lucky you didn't have to sit in the back seat..THAT is hard to get into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so jealous. I love those books and so cool you went. Sounds like everything was grand! So happy for yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good hell I would have been rolling on the asphalt watching you try to get in that Jeep :)

    Korean food huh...you do know they eat dog....

    And whattheheck Dazee! No fries?

    I've missed ya...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, you always need water after ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still a little jealous that you got to meet Kathy Reichs but at least you did. I think you might have a hard time getting in and out of my car too. Your sister has excellent taste in vehicles. A big 4WD! I already like her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! I'm sorry life got busy and it took me too long to read this, you crack me up!! Sounds like you had a really fun time. And I had no idea we where the ice cream capital of the world. I LOVE Macey's cones!! They have some of the best twist ice cream...

    ReplyDelete