Monday, November 30, 2020

C The DIFFerence A Week Makes

 



Gross stuff coming. But first, another memory from a sibling.  

From My Brother Phillip

In early 2019 Dazee was in the hospital recovering from her liver transplant. She had been on my mind a lot. I felt paralyzed being so far from her during this time. My family prayed for her constantly. One week in February, I was able to find a reason to go to Salt Lake. It was a short trip, but I planned to take some time to see her in the hospital. 

However truth be told, after a long day and getting in much later than I expected, I didn’t feel like going to the hospital. It was about 9 PM and snowing outside. Based on my schedule, I also knew I wouldn’t be able to see her the next day as I was flying back out. But, I really wanted to see her, so I quickly checked into my room and headed to the hospital. I can’t think of anything I’m more glad I did over the last few years. 

I really didn’t know where I was going so my wife Alisa talked to Melodie to find out the details. I arrived at the hospital and started looking for the right floor. I remember the smell making me anxious. (I don’t like the smell of hospitals). When I got to the right floor, I started looking for the room I was told she was in. I remember being surprised that no one questioned what I was doing. I thought it was odd they’d simply allow some guy to roam around the area after 9PM. I went into the room I was told she was in. Some dude was lying in the bed (freaked me out) so I had to go to the Nurses’s station and ask where she was. Finally I found her room. 

When I walked in, I saw her lying in bed asleep. I also saw Brent sitting in a chair next to the window doing a crossword puzzle. I sat next to him and asked how she was doing. I was blown away with how much he had learned about her condition. I’ve never forgotten that. We chatted for a while and then she woke up a bit and saw me sitting there. She smiled and said “Phillip?”  I thought my heart was going to burst. It made me so sad to see her lying there in that condition. On the other hand, I was equally as happy that she had received her new liver. We talked for a while, and even though she desperately wanted to show me her scars, I’m happy to say that I was strong enough NOT to look at them. (I’m a wimp and may have fainted). 

I’ve always been so glad that I was able to make that trip and see her. She lifted my spirits. 


On February 19, 2019 I was finally released from the hospital. Yippee ya hooey. When we left, in my possession, were 21 different drugs I had to take daily. Yes, you read that right, 21. 


Everyday Brent gets my meds ready in different cups that I take throughout the day. He’s a rock star. Today I’m down to 13 meds. Still a lot. 

One week after my discharge,  on February 26, I got the worst diarrhea of my life. Every half hour, (it felt more like 10 minutes), I was running to the bathroom.  Actually it was a slow walk. I called the liver clinic and asked them what to do. At first they told me to take some anti diarrheal medicine. But then they called back and told me to go back to the transplant floor at the hospital. What the heck. 

What was it?  C DIFF. By the show of hands, how many of you know what that is. Wow, look how many of you know. I’m impressed. 

It’s an inflammation of the colon. A disruption of normal healthy bacteria. Mine was in their words “a severe infection”.  The primary risk factor for C difficile colitis is previous exposure to antibiotics; the most commonly implicated agents include the cephalosporins (especially second and third generation), the fluoroquinolones, ampicillin/amoxicillin, and clindamycin.

They decided I needed to be admitted. Everybody that entered the room had to put on hazmat gear. Gowns, gloves, masks, basically everything they now have to wear for COVID. 

Still trying to recover from the previous 21 agonizing days in the hospital from my transplant and seizure, I was moving really slow. Like a snail slow. When you have C DIFF you do not have time to wait for an aide to come help you.  When you feel the urge you have to go RIGHT NOW. We made them get a bedside commode. Brent slept at the hospital the two nights I was there. I would barely make it to the commode. This type of diarrhea is just like water. This hero of mine wiped up more poop than should ever be expected by any husband. 

One time the aide came in, and instead of pouring it (the infected poop) into the toilet, she poured it down the sink!! WTF!!!!! And then she even left the catcher thing in the sink. My poor husband put on the hazmat stuff and cleaned out the sink and catcher. This goes above and beyond what any spouse should have to do. Just another time that we should have made a huge stink (haha) to management. We have learned now to make complaints. A lot of doctors don’t like us much anymore. 

Thank goodness I was only there for two days. With another medication (antibiotic) to add to the 21 drugs that I was already taking. It’s crazy to think I was now taking a NEW antibiotic to clear up what a previous antibiotic caused. 

Is the worst behind me??

No comments:

Post a Comment