Wednesday, July 21, 2010

High School Daze

First of all. My printer/scanner is being a big fat pain in my butt and decided that it didn't want to scan my pictures. So I had to do the next best thing and take a picture of my pictures. So, I'm sorry about the quality of the darn pictures. errrrrrrrr. steam is blowing out of my ears.

My best friend from high school, Pam and I have hooked back up through the devil known as Facebook. She has been harassing bugging asking nicely if I would please, please, please go to our 35th reunion. I finally relented today. The thing is, I hated all the petty games in high school. Skinny vs Fat, Cool vs Nerds, Good Kids vs Bad Kids. I was in the Good Kids. I know, I should have become my own woman clear before age 50. But I digress.

The picture on the left is my junior year. The one on the right, my senior year. Don't I look like such a mature good girl. Yeah, that's what I thought. But at least I was a size 8 back then. Yeah, you read it right an 8. Still wasn't in the 4 to 6 size of some of the girls, but hey, I think I looked ok.

Believe it or not, I was in the Pep Club. Back in the dark ages, there were pep clubs instead of dancers. We would cheer our little hearts out at the games, and do marching routines. I was just a "member" in my junior year, but in my senior year, I was the Drill Mistress. Me and the other mistress (hey, get your minds out of the gutters), were in charge of making up the marches and the hand gestures while we were sitting. I have to say, that was the highlight of my high school years. I loved every minute of it, and I have to say, I did come up with some fabulous routines, of which most of them would "come to me" while I was in the shower. Strange, but I guess the hot water hitting my head made me think better. The pictures below are of my drill mistress days. I was hot, you can say it. :)

There were a few food items in high school that have really left an impact on me. (and here you thought you were going to get to hear about my boyfriends and stuff, hahaha, no such luck). Let me tell you about a few. We'll count them as my FO's of the week. (which, I have totally given up on because it was such a huge success). :) :) :)

The first place was called Kay Sa Dee A. It was a little hole in the wall that was by the high school, and was on my walk home. We would stop there at least once a week. Pam informed me today, that I was the one that got her addicted to mexican food. Gosh, and here I thought I was a "good girl". They had a soft shell taco that they also called the Kay Sa Dee A. The thing I remember about it was it was soooo freaking good, and the hamburger they used in it was like a patty, not ground meat. And the flavor of it was to die for. I would love to have another one of those. aaaahhhh. FO. There was not a picture that I could find that even matched what it looked like, so just use your imaginations. Patty, lettuce, tomato, cheese and whatever the sauce was. Just a sec, I need a minute. ................... ok. Let's continue.

The next food item that I have fond memories of are the hamburger and fries that they served at the cafe in Penney's. Does that date me or what. This is another place we would go, over, and over, and over. It was also the place that the one and only time I sluffed, we went and the secretary from my "office assistant" class was eating. She must have been hooked too. I think I loved these hamburgers so much because they weren't homemade. Large family, mom cooks, even when we would beg our dad to please stop at McDonalds and get us a hamburger. "nope", he would say, "we'll have mom make us some when we get home". Mom would always do it. Nowadays she would probably tell him to go jump in a lake, but back then, she was the best wife and would do it. And her hamburgers were good, but McDonalds once in a blue moon would have been awesome.

The last item of my youth is spaghetti. Pam would make it once in a while when we were at her house. I loved going to her house. She was an only child, so it was quiet, and not the constant noise of my huge family. Anynoodle, you're thinking, spaghetti, who cares. Remember, large family usually means not really "spicy" food, because there's just too many of you to please. Pam would shake in sooooo much Tabasco, and it was awesome. I had never even heard of Tabasco. I remember begging her to make spaghetti. To this day, whenever I make it, there has to be Tabasco in it. It just adds an extra zing.

Now I'm hungry. And just to let you know. I won't be going on any diets to try to lose 100 pounds before the reunion. If they don't like the looks of me now, well, you know my mantra, too bad so sad for them. Besides, I can leave the party if it gets too dumb and high schooly. Just think Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. I'll be the one saying I invented post-it notes. :)