Wednesday, July 21, 2010

You Say What?????

How can stopping at your favorite donut place, turn into heart palpitations, hatred and anger. Well let me tell you. I will start at the beginning.


Back about 10 or so years ago, we lived in a fine, outstanding, all go to the same church, kind of street. Me and the kids were the dominate religion in these here parts. My husband, is not a member of any formal religion. My youngest son, went to scout camp that summer. Him and some other friends were kind of "the scoundrels of the camp". I'm fine with my kids having fun. They are only young once. Apparently, one of the boys in the group, got in mega trouble with his mom when they got home. She made him send a letter of apology to the scout master and grounded him for a month (oh really?) from hanging out with his friends. Well, one day I was coming home from work, and saw said wonder child, riding bikes with a couple of the "good" boys of the church. You know, boys whose dads had high positions in the church. I asked my son if he was allowed to hang out with wonder child, and he said, no he is still grounded. WTF, really? Because I just saw him with the "good" boys.


I let this get under my skin for about a month. Finally, one day, I couldn't stand it any longer. Waited in the church foyer, and finally caught his dad, told him we needed to talk, and we headed to the chapel. Why the chapel you ask, cuz it's the only place that was quiet and no one would bug us. I outright asked him why my son was not good enough for his boy wonder to hang out with. He gave me the bullshit story that he was grounded from hanging out with anyone, but I told him bullshit. Yes, I said it in the chapel, and I wasn't hit by lightning. And I even said, HELL. He was lucky I didn't use the F word.


It was about this time that I started feeling that the people I was hanging around at church, were not good people. They were 2 faced, pieces of crap. Oh, they will act all like, you are cool, your hubby is cool, your kids are cool, but please don't send them over to play. We just can't have it. Your kids will make our kids start thinking for themselves, and we just can't have that. It's not the first time my kids have been shunned from playing with their kids. My daughter had a friend, that she asked if she could spend the night at our house. Her mom brought her and came to the door. My hubby had just asked me to make a pot of coffee. So of course, the house had the nummy aroma of coffee, but after that night, said friend was never allowed to spend the night again. Why? Because, gosh, we might handcuff the kid to the chair and pour coffee down her throat. We are heathens like that you know.


I have left the church. I still believe in God, and try to be a good person. I don't think I have to go and sit every Sunday to be spiritually fed. I have experiences without going, and sitting with fake people.


Anyway, back to my favorite donut place. I go in and ask if they have any cookies. They said yes, but they needed to frost them. So I sat at a cute little table. People kept coming in and getting donuts. All of the sudden, I look up and I see who I think is father of wonder child. Seeing his gray hair and profile, I was pretty sure. So I grabbed my phone and started texting my son, telling him who was there. Made sure I kept my head down and texting away. Did stick out my leg, so he could see my tattoos, and of course, my sassy red hair was ablaze. When they asked him what he would like, it sealed the deal that it was him. You are probably wondering why I wouldn't talk to him. Because, his family is one of those families that I will never speak to again. Thank goodness he left. I know that if I would have gotten eye contact from him, I would have given him the double bird.


Don't ever treat me like I'm a bad mother because I let my kids make decisions about their lives. Yes, I was there to help point them in the right direction, but I did let them make choices. Some of them not so good, but they always knew I loved them, and most the time it was just fazes they were going through.


How I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when he got home. I'm sure him and his dear sweet, good for nothing wife, had the horror conversation about how I have totally gone down hill, have tattoos and sassy red hair. And how "they did the right thing by keeping wonder boy away from my son".


I hate people that are judgemental. Especially if they profess not to be. I don't care what color skin you have, what your religious affiliation is, or what your sexual orientation is. As long as you are a good person, you are ok with me.

Now, where is that cookie..............