Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Thanksgiving Tale

Believe it or not, once upon a time, I was a teenager.  I know huh.  Anypimpleslater, we were getting ready for Thanksgiving Dinner.  My mom asked me to drive up to the local store, can't remember the name, but you know, kind of like a Walgreens type store, and get a gold bowl.  On it mom, because I had just barely gotten my license (or hadn't gotten it yet, don't tell the cops) and I was all for driving anywhere.

I head into the store.  Why is the heck was mom asking for a gold bowl.  I looked all over the darn store for one.  I didn't want to go home empty handed and upset my mom.  Woo-hoo, I finally found one.  Drove home, walked in the kitchen handed over the bowl with a big ole smile, and my mom says, "what is this?"  I'm like, a gold bowl.  Just like you asked for.   No she says, I asked you to get me....wait for it....... 


A Gold BOW!  What the?  How in the heck did I hear bowl.  But hey, I got to drive myself back to get the bow.  Bonus

 Of course, the other item that I will never live down in my family is the turkey gravy fiasco.  I don't know about you, but I love me some homemade mashed potatoes and gravy on Thanksgiving.  So of course, I spoon me up a nice helping, pour on a heap of gravy, and dig in.  Oh, my.  What in the heck is that taste?  "Mom", I say, "this gravy doesn't taste right".  She asks what it tastes like.  I spout out.....wait for it...........

 Homemade play dough.  What?  Don't tell me you never took a bite of the play dough your mom made.  Hell, it's nothing but flour, salt and water. 
 
 What are the ingredients of homemade gravy?  Buehler? Buehler?  Flour, salt, turkey drippings.  You get what I'm saying.  Maybe not, but I said it, ok.  And to this day, oh so many moons later, I'm still reminded of it when we sit down as a huge extended family for dinner. 
 
Have you ever done anything slightly stupid?  Or is it just me?